When purchasing an AC, one of the most critical steps for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) experts is to measure the available space for the new unit. This pertains to the cooling capacity of the new system. An air conditioner must have the proper cooling capacity to suit the temperature regulation needs of the residence. It cannot be resized once installed.
Consequences Of An AC That Is Too Powerful
- Greater Damage: An oversized air conditioner only needs to run for short periods to meet the thermostat’s setpoint, so it must start and stop functioning more frequently. As a result, it will likely require more frequent maintenance and will need to be replaced sooner. The frequency of occurrence is directly proportional to the loss in equipment durability. You may need to seek AC maintenance for your unit in Arlington, TX.
- More Short-Cycling: If an air conditioner is too powerful, the thermostat will detect that the task is complete too soon and shut off the compressor before the job is finished. This is known as short cycling. If the cooling capacity of the air filter replacement for your unit in Arlington, TX, exceeds the space it is meant to cool, it will begin to short-cycle, turning the light on and off multiple times in an hour. This wastes a significant amount of energy and puts a lot of wear and stress on the system, resulting in a shorter lifespan for the air conditioner.
- Inadequately Sized Air Ducts: We often find that a large air conditioner has been placed in a location where a smaller unit was previously installed, and the ducting dimensions were based on the smaller unit. This results in high static pressure, which means the new unit cannot “breathe” properly. High static pressure is a major issue for air conditioning systems as it can lead to the failure of expensive components such as compressors and indoor fan motors, as well as discomfort and excessive energy costs. It is a critical concern that can cause significant damage to an air conditioning system.
- Increased Humidity: If humidity is already a problem where you live, the last thing you want is for your air conditioner to exacerbate the problem by producing additional humidity. When the air conditioner in your home is sized correctly, it will operate long enough to remove the majority of surplus humidity.
- Comfort: Air conditioning serves two purposes. It eliminates moisture from the air and makes your home’s air cooler. It must pass over an evaporator coil, an icy surface, to extract moisture from the air. The air’s temperature may drop by as much as 20 degrees Fahrenheit when it passes over that coil.
When the coil’s temperature goes below the air’s dewpoint, condensation of water vapor will occur on the coil’s surface. If you need assistance with any of your AC or heat pump repair needs in Arlington, TX, contact Cool Tech Mechanical for a free consultation.
If you seek professional and helpful heating and cooling advice, you should speak to an expert from Cool Tech Mechanical. We are a highly developed service provider, and we take immense delight in the caliber of our work.